Thursday 1 August 2019

Butterfly ATC's using HunkyDory Prism Inkpads

Hello!

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to have been given an opportunity to use some products from HunkyDory Crafts to create some projects and share them on my blog, I also then made a couple of videos which are on my YouTube channel (you can click on the link on the right hand side). 

So I was really pleased when I was given a further opportunity to review the Prism Inkpads from HunkyDory - Full disclosure: I have been given these inkpads to review for free and to keep, however any views I have are my own and will be totally honest.

Here is a picture of the collection that I have laid out in colour families so you can get an idea of the colours available...


There is a nice spread of colours in a variety of shades although there are quite a lot of greens! The pads are a nice compact size if space is an issue for you (approximately 1 and a quarter inches square) however they do not stack on top of each other so I have found it easier to store them in a tub so they are held in place. 

They are a dye based ink and react with water which makes them great for a variety of techniques.  The sponge is raised above the base so they are easy to use direct to paper and I found them to be nice and juicy.

I started by using the pads in different ways on a variety of cardstock...


1) Direct to glossy card stock then rubbed back with kitchen roll
2) Direct to water colour card stock then lightly spritzed
3) Colours applied to glass mat 1 at a time, mixed with water and painted on watercolour cardstock with a brush
4) Primary colours pressed onto glass mat, spritzed with water and watercolour card pressed onto them
5) Using blending tools with primary colours onto smooth stamping card, water flicked on then lifted
6) Ink placed directly onto kitchen roll, spritzed then dried, adhered to card

Then I tried some other techniques with them...


7) Ink on glass mat lifted with kitchen roll and pressed onto card
8) Glossy card with ink directly applied, spritzed with water and cling film added on top and scrunched, left to dry the removed
9) Stamped image onto smooth card with clear embossing ink and powder then blended ink with foam over top, wiped away excess ink
10) Brayer used to apply ink to card then white modelling paste mixed with small amount of ink on mat, applied through stencil
11) Ink brayered onto gel plate, another layer added and removed through stencil then print pulled
12) Brown tones added directly and spritzed with water, scrunched and more ink added, extra dark ink direct to edges (this is based on a technique that Tim Holtz has done in his videos but I couldn't remember it exactly!!)

The inks worked well with all the techniques and were very versatile.  Next I decided to turn some of my pieces into ATC cards and added some other elements using stamps with the inkpads...



I used the black ink on the bright background and added clear embossing powder over the top, the ink stays wet long enough to do this.  I was able to easily add paint pens over the top to create some white highlights.


The inks stamped nice and clearly onto the background and again I used the clear embossing powder.


Stamping with the ink and embossing onto vellum.  I used the inks to paint in the parts of the butterfly as well.


I applied the ink to the butterfly stamps and spritzed over them to create a more watercolour look when stamping.

I really enjoyed using the inks and they worked well with all the techniques that I tried.  I also like the compact size but do wish they would stack!

If you are interested in these inkpads they are available on the HunkyDory website (https://www.hunkydorycrafts.co.uk/) along with the stamps and stencil I used, you can click on the products below to link to them directly.  There are also more videos and examples of projects there if you want more information:

* Prism Inkpads
* Tattered Trims Stamp Set
* Butterfly Wishes Stamp Set
* Baroque Backgrounds Stamp Set
* Sketched Background Tiles
* Distressed Dots Stencil

Thank you for looking and happy crafting!

Jane xx

No comments:

Post a Comment