Friday, 8 January 2016

Funtastic Friday - Gelli plate cog card

Hi everyone!

Now I know it is not Monday but as I have really gotten back into my crafting since Christmas I have decided that I will now start doing 2 blog posts per week, Mixed Media Monday and also Funtastic Friday (it is quite hard coming up with names!).
Funtastic could mean just about any craft project for me as I love them all and think craft is and should be fun, but I am going to try to make sure that it contains some sort of more playful element (for me anyway) if that makes sense?  I am also going to incorporate more challenges and with that in mind this project is being entered into 2 this week...

1) Die Cutting Divas - this challenge is to follow a sketch this week, which incorporates at least one die cut (not a problem for me due to my slight addiction in the last few months to dies!).   Here is the sketch...

 
2) Anything But Cute Challenge - this one is any mixed media project that contains some of your new crafty stash...
 

 
 
So here is the main part of what I used for my project...
 

The playful part of this project for me is the gelli plate.  I have had it a while but only really used it once when I first got it, so this was a good opportunity for me to have a play around with how to use it.  The new part is the cog die cuts (you can just about see them) from my Memory Box steampunk corner die that I bought with some Christmas money.  However I have to admit that the main stamped image and sentiment and die cuts could also probably count as new as I realised when I got them out that the stamps still had the backing on the foam where they hadn't been used (oh dear!).
First I created my background using acrylic paints on the gelli plate and stencils from Finnabair and Tim Holtz.  I made a few different ones until I had what I wanted, and I wasn't too fussy as I knew I was going to add more to it.  Once it dried I added more stencilling with distress ink, gelatos round the edge and some stamping and spritzing until it looked like this...
 
 
I then matted and layered it up with vintage gold and brown card...
 
 
For the strips I added colour to my cog die cuts (which I had cut up from the corners to be able to make strips) using distress ink and sprays then a little bit of gold gilding wax.  They still seemed to lack something, so after I had backed them onto some kraft card I added a few gems, a bit more spray and some ink along the edges.  I used 3 more cogs from the same die to make my embellishments for the top of the card...
 
 
After laying it all out I was then able to choose the size of circle die cut that I wanted and cut out 2 to mat together with my Stampin'Up! circle dies (this must be one of my most used sets).  I matched the colours to the main mats from earlier.  Then I stamped my focal image from Heartfelt Creations (All Geared Up) onto kraft card and added some ink and sprays.  I cut a 'cog flower' from the matching Heartfelt Creations dies and layered them up with a final gem.  The sentiment came from the same stamp set and it then just needed to all be stuck together...
 


 
The card is 8" x 8" and because I layered it up with foam tape I added some card to the inside to balance it out and put it into a box.
 
I hope you like it, I certainly did have fun making it and will be getting my gelli plate out more regularly from now on!
 
I will also be putting this card onto my Facebook page www.facebook.com/isleofcraftycreations
If you would like to take a look at my page do please pop over.
 
Enjoy your weekend and I will be back on Monday,
 
Jane x