Monday 8 February 2016

Mixed Media Monday - Grungy Love

Hello!

Still on a heart and love theme but today with a bit of a darker more grungy twist!

I will be entering this project into the following challenges...

* Anything But Cute - Grungy Love
* Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - Glitter

* Sandee and Amelie's Steampunk Challenge - Industrial/Steampunk
* Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Altered Art
* Craft Stamper - Text Me

On Friday I said that I would look through my crafty cupboard for items to use that I had not gotten out in a while, so that was the starting point for my project.

I decided to get out my paper clay (I used it a lot when I first got it, but as many things do it had remained on a shelf once put away).  I also found some metal 'bezels' that I had bought primarily to make jewellery, but a pocket watch one was ideal for this project.  Finally I discovered my pots of Iced Enamels (basically embossing powders that are good for using on metal), these I have now put on the shelf with my main embossing powders rather than in a separate space, the plan is that this will remind me to use them!

Here are the photos of how I used these items to create a main focal embellishment for my final project...

  I coated the mould with anti static powder to try to make removing the clay easier!
 The clay pieces (once dry) were placed inside the pocket watch bezel (as well as a couple on the outside) which had been painted with gesso then coated with some texture paste.
Once this had all dried the whole piece was painted with black gesso then coloured using silver glitz embossing enamel, black and silver micro beads and silver gilding wax.

Then I prepped the base of the project, a wooden heart.  This was painted with black gesso  then stamped and embossed in white powder using a French script backgorund stamp from Stampin'Up!...



Next I chose a selection of embellishments/found items (mostly metal, but some that I had previously made with my melt pot) which I arranged where I wanted and then stuck down with 3D matt gel.  I made sure that I knew where I wanted my pocket watch to go and then painted over them all with black gesso before using spray inks to give colour to the whole piece.  I used black and white Dylusions, steel shimmer from Lindy's Stamp gang and silver tinsel by Heidi Swapp.  I wanted to create lighter and darker parts and also some drips, although they didn't turn out exactly as planned, in the end I was happy with the result...
 

 
Then it was time to add extra sparkle, shine and more text!  I used my old faithful 'art is' stencil from TCW and silver sparkle paste to add extra detail to the plainer side.  Using matt medium I also applied some silver and black glitters from Finnabair to the embellished areas.  I also used some Pebeo silver gilding wax to define the raised areas.  I have taken a photo to try to show the sparkle, but have discovered that glitter and sparkle is very hard to capture, hopefully it will show up a bit...


I then glued the pocket watch into place and coloured a piece of card with the same spray inks used before.  I stamped across the card using the French script background with silver encore ink to create a subtle effect, before stamping and embossing a sentiment from a Quietfire designs set.  After cutting it out with a circle die I edged it using a silver gilding pen.

After adding a bit more spray and gilding wax the heart was finished with a piece of organza ribbon...




So there is my bit of grungy love!  Very different from the last pink heart, but I really like this colour combination.

I will be back on Wednesday so hopefully I will see you again then,

Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment