Monday, 16 May 2016

Mixed Media Monday: Monster Fun!

Hello, and welcome to a new week of craftiness!!

This week I will be posting a project each day right up to next weekend so watch this space for exciting announcements!!

On Friday I said that I would maybe be making something steampunky for today, I didn't do that in the end but I certainly went for a project that was far from flowery!

I will be entering this project into the following challenges...

* That's Crafty - Friday The 13th Challenge Part 1
* Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers - F is for Fugly
* Crafty Calendar - Things with Wings

For this project I wanted to create something a bit monstrous but still lots of fun so got out my monster stamp set from Dylusions. 
I started by stamping out some of the pieces using Versafine ink then coloured them with Spectrum Aqua pens.  I had no colour scheme in mind, I just went with bright and slightly clashing colours! 
Then when they were all coloured I coated the pieces using glossy accents and left to dry thoroughly.  The display case was stamped twice, once on card then on acetate, and cut out and layered up, fixing the parts together with mini brads.
The sentiment was stamped from a set by Stampers Anonymous and cut down to size...

After the pieces were made I had to decide what I wanted them to go on!!  I was going to make a card but then decided that they would be more suited to a plaque.  I chose a frame that would be just the right size for the pieces and drilled two holes at the top then coated with white gesso.  I then used light paste to create texture around the frame using the texture mesh stencil from Memory Box...

When choosing a colour I wanted to stick with the monstrous theme and also match in with some of the pieces that I had already coloured so painted the whole frame using Lime Marmalade paint from IndigoBlu.  This then had some silver gilding wax added to highlight the texture and create some contrast. 
I used an ink splat die by Tim Holtz to cut a shape from a piece of vintage silver card and then put it through an embossing folder to add extra texture.  The piece was then placed into the middle of the frame...

Once I had tested out some different ways of laying out the pieces I finally decided how I wanted them to be placed.  I added some Marigold distress ink to the sentiment then stuck all the pieces into place using glue gel...

Totally different to a lot of my usual pieces but I really like the bright colours and the fun characters so this may get pride of place somewhere in my home!

I will be back tomorrow with a project using the stamps and masks from Leonie Pujol that were launched a few weeks ago so hopefully you will pop by again to see what I have made this time.

Have a lovely week,

Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment