Monday, 20 June 2016

Mixed Media Monday: Rusty Hexagon

Hello, I hope you have all had a fab weekend!

Today I have a mixed media project using a product that I recently bought. 
For a few months I have been looking at the Finnabair rust paste set that was brought out earlier this year and considering getting it, but it had been out of stock in most places and I wasn't sure if it would really give a realistic rust effect. 
However after I watched a recent video by Finnabair herself I was so impressed that as soon as I saw the set in stock online I ordered it, and I have to say having used it for the first time this weekend, I am blown away by the results you can get!

I am entering this project into the following challenges:

* Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Anything Goes
* Crafty Girls Challenge - Challenge #21
* Creative Carte Blanche - Winged Things
* Love to Create - Anything Creative Mixed Media Goes
* Anything But Cute - The Birds and The Bees
* STAMPlorations - Mixed Media Challenge



Today I will start with a photo of the finished piece then show you the steps I took to get there...


I started with an MDF hexagon blank that I painted with white gesso to form a base...


Once both sides were dry I used a Bold Bloom stencil from ARTplorations with light paste to make a textured background...


I had a collection of dried clay pieces that I had recently made using DAS air drying clay and some Martha Stewart moulds, so I picked out the ones I wanted and played around with different layouts until I was happy.  These were then stuck to the plaque using 3D Matte Gel and allowed to dry thoroughly...


I put another thin coat of gesso over the whole piece before adding colour.  As I knew I wanted to use the rust paste I decided to stick with a brown colour scheme.  The base was painted with tea dye and vintage photo distress paints then sprayed using distress stains (wild honey and vintage photo) and Lindy's Stamp Gang (Shabby Turbine Teal and Steampunk Sepia)...


Then the rust paste!!  I only wanted part of the plaque to have the rust effect so chose to focus on the bottom and right hand side.  I added the yellow, then red then brown rust pastes, and was really surprised by how quickly and easily the rust effect was created.  I then added extra bits of whatever colour I felt was needed.  Finally I added some gold Pebeo and Patina gilding waxes...


I wanted a sentiment to fit with the bird theme so chose one from the Dina Wakely bird set.  This was stamped and embossed with gold powder onto a background created with two of the earlier sprays.  After cutting it out with a die I added some gold gilding pen around the edge then attached to the plaque with glue gel.  The final touch was some organza ribbon to hang it up with...




There is now a risk that I will be rusting everything in sight!! So the children had better watch out!

I will be back tomorrow with a couple of cards made for my design team samples a couple of weeks ago, hopefully you will pop by to see them,

Jane x