Tuesday, 1 November 2016

Altered Eclectics: Poppy Plaque

Hello!

It is a new month so it must be time for a new Altered Eclectics Challenge!!
If you would like to go over to have a look at all the other design team projects and for an idea of what you could enter then you can click HERE.  The only rule is no cards or ATC's and it would be lovely to see your entries this month :)

As it is November I thought that I would like to incorporate poppies into my project, here is my finished piece...


I started with a plain paper mache icon, which was then coated with white gesso before applying Finnabair's light paste through a Bee Crafty Damask stencil...


 
 
Once this was dried the whole icon was painted using Decoart fluid acrylic paints (Cadmium Red Hue and Transparent Red Oxide)...
 


Next I used Decoart Crackle Glaze on areas of the plaque and allowed this to totally air dry before adding Decoart Patina Antiquing Cream over the top.  Using some damp kitchen roll I then removed some of the cream, leaving the patina effect in the cracks and around some of the texture.  To add further highlights I also used some Patina gilding wax from Creative Expressions as well as Empire Gold from Pebeo...



Once the background was finished I could create my focal points.  These were to be my poppies which were created using the Blazing Poppy stamps and dies from Heartfelt Creations.  These were stamped using black archival ink...


Memento inks were used with a sponge dauber to colour the flowers (Morocco and Rhubarb Stalk).  I did stamp and cut some leaves but eventually decided to use some flourishes from Crafter's Companion dies in vintage gold card.  The poppies were shaped and stuck together, with some clear sparkle pen and gilding wax added.  To create the centres I used Finnabair black microbeads mixed with 3D matt gel...


The final part of the plaque was a stamped sentiment from Hobbyart (Sunny Day Greetings) which was stamped and heat embossed using gold detail powder then cut out using a Justrite Vintage Labels 3 die, with a brush of distress ink and some more gold gilding wax added to tone it all together...


I love the sentiment and think that it complements the poppies well.

I hope you have enjoyed my step by step today and that you get the chance to take a look at the Altered Eclectics Challenge and maybe even enter.

I also have the exciting news that today one of my projects is being published as part of an online mixed media magazine called 'Mixed Up'.  Here is a little sneak peek of my project plus a glimpse of the magazine cover, there is also a link to the website...

http://www.mixedupmag.com/


 
Thank you for reading and I hope you will come by again soon!
 
Jane x