Monday 19 February 2018

Rusty Plaque for Tando Creative

Hello!

This week on the Tando Creative blog we are celebrating all thing rust.  Rust is one of my favourite techniques when creating mixed media projects and there are a variety of products and ways to achieve that particular look.  For my rust I used a range of Decoart media products to create my rusty plaque...

 
I started by using structure paste with the Tando Criss Cross stencil onto a large media board.  Then I added sand texture paste with my finger mostly around the edges and also small amounts in the centre.
Once this was all dry I painted it with metallic silver paint, then a wash of paynes grey and then a wash of quinacridone gold.  To create the rusty areas I used 3 shades of paint on top of the sand texture.  I tend to start with a yellow tone first (transparent yellow oxide), then a reddish brown (burnt sienna) and finally a dark brown (burnt umber) and used a stippling action with a stencil brush...


To add to the plaque I chose a mixture of grey board hearts, cogs, numbers and wings.  The largest cog, wing and word were coloured in the same way as the plaque.  The numbers and smaller cogs were painted with paynes grey and then a wash of quinacridone gold and finished with a little bit of gold gilding wax.  The hearts were painted with pyrole red then coated with crackle glaze and once dried finished again with gilding wax...

 
Once the main pieces had all been placed the sentiment from Visible Image was stamped onto card and coloured with some distress ink before also being added to the plaque...
 


The final touch was to add some rusty wire as a hanger.

Here are the products used...

* Media Board
* Cogs
* Hearts
* Imagine
* Wings
* Criss Cross Stencil
* Decoart Media Line

I am really looking forward to seeing the other rusty projects this week and hopefully trying some of the techniques out!

Happy crafting,

Jane xx

No comments:

Post a Comment