Saturday 23 March 2019

Grunge 'v' Glitter and Gloss (Altered Tin) for Bee Crafty

Hello!

Today I am on the Buzzy Goings on at Bee Crafty blog with an altered tin project.

I love to alter different objects and it is even better if that object can then also be useful as well as fun to create.  My children have been decorating tin cans for a while to store different things in so I decided to get in on the act and use a tin to hold my watercolour brushes.

The styles that I like to use in my crafting are very varied and I love both the grungy look as well as very colourful and pretty so I decided to combine both within this project...


I started by making sure my tin was really well cleaned and I used one that required a tin opener rather than a ring pull as it seems to leave a safer edge.  Once clean I painted it with 3 layers of white gesso, drying between each...


To add texture I used my palette knife to put on some crackle paste and allowed it to dry overnight...


I wanted some background stamping but as this was a curved and uneven surface I used archival ink with the numbers stamp and stamped onto tissue before applying it to the tin using matte medium...


Next I added colour by applying watered down acrylic paint in washes.  I used silver, light and dark blue and quinacridone gold...


To try to highlight the crackles I added black antiquing cream from Decoart which you apply, let dry then rub off the areas you don't want.  As this does not ever truly set I added a layer of matt varnish afterwards.  It didn't work as well as I had hoped so I decided to add some gilding wax as well...


To add some stencilling I used the metal alpha d'inkable with some black modelling paste.  Once this had dried I added a lighter gold gilding wax over the top to bring out the details...


At this point the tin had become much darker than I had wanted so I decided to add some more stencilling, this time using the chevrons d'inkable with white gesso.  I also then dry brushed some of the white across the tin...


To completely contrast with the grungy tin I wanted to add some very pretty focal images.  The large rose stamp from Beautanicals was stamped 3 times in full then the head another 3 times.  Once cut out I coloured them with shades of yellow and orange and coated them with glossy accents, sprinkling in a little bit of fine glitter whilst still wet.  Once dry they were layered up and adhered to the tin using glue gel...



Here are the products that I used:

* Backdrop Stamps - Random Numbers
* Beautanicals Large - Rose
* D'Inkables - Metal Alpha; Chevrons

Which do you prefer grungy or pretty?  Or maybe you are like me and love both!

Thank you for looking and happy crafting,

Jane xx

1 comment: