Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Wonderful Wednesday - Spring Mannequin: Part 2

Hello again,

I am back with Part 2 of my mannequin story!

I will be entering this project into the following challenges...

* Mixed Media Mojo - Springtime (Watercolours)

* More Mixed Media Challenge - Green
* The Artistic Stamper  - Springtime
* Altered Eclectics - Anything Goes
* Anything But Cute - Crazy For Colour

Here is the photo again of how I had left my mannequin at the end of the last post...

Once the sculpture medium was totally dry it made the material harder and provided a surface that could then be painted etc.

As this was going to be a spring themed project I wanted the background to be green as this is the colour that makes me think of spring, new shoots and leaves appearing.  I painted the dress using 'Refreshing' by American Décor, then added highlights of gilding wax to the areas where there was texture to add definition.  I also at that point decided to 'gild' the black gesso of the mannequin for a more vintage look...

For me Spring meant that I had to use flowers and butterflies (2 of my favourite embellishments for any craft project!!) so next I prepared the paper that I wanted to use for those elements.  I wanted a sunshine feel to my colours so chose to use lemon, scarlet and orange brusho pigment powders.  Instead of using water to dilute them I used the gold foil prima bloom spray for extra sparkle and shine!  I sprinkled the powders randomly onto white card and once sprayed used my heat tool.  One sheet mixed a bit more than I had intended but I was happy with the overall result...

Once this had dried thoroughly I used gold embossing powder with Arianna Blooms from Heartfelt Creations, which were stamped and then die cut.  They were then shaped and stuck together with a gem added to each centre.  The butterflies were from a stamp set by Bee Crafty, and these were also heat embossed then cut out by hand.  I decided to cut off the card antennae and use gold coloured wire on the final project.  These were then put onto the mannequin using glue gel, then some curled wire added for the butterflies and gold stamens added instead of leaves for the flowers...


For the finishing touches I had a look through my bead box and picked some different sized and coloured beads that I felt went with the colour scheme.  These were glued on along with copper micro beads in 3D matte gel.  I have taken a few pictures to try to capture the mannequin from different angles...

I was really pleased with my first use of the sculpture medium and will be up cycling my other mannequin very soon with a long dress!
Have a lovely day, and I will be back on Friday with something a bit more industrial,
Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment