Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Design Team Tuesday: A Little Bit Abstract!

Hello!
 
Before I start today I would just like to say thank you for the lovely comments that are left on my posts.  I don't tend to respond individually but I do read them all and appreciate every one! :)
 
I am back today with my design team hat on! 
 
If you saw Leonie on HOCHANDA last week launching her new range of masks and stamps I hope you liked what you have seen so far, she has also posted some tutorials of how to use the kits on her blog - http://leoniepujol.blogspot.co.uk/
 
I love little stamps as they are so versatile so today I am posting a new project that I made using the new stamps after being inspired by the TV shows and also by the other members of the design team!
 
Please do pop over to their blogs for lots of lovely crafting inspiration:
 
* Katrina: http://cornishkat.blogspot.co.uk/
* Elaine: http://cakecoffeefcraft.blogspot.co.uk/
 
Both Katrina and Elaine have used the masks and stamps in very original ways that I hadn't thought of, and Nick has done some amazing pattern building.  It is the pattern building that I wanted to have a go at but I haven't got the patience for anything too complex so decided to use a coaster size piece of stampbord.  Here are the items that I used...
 
  
I started by using stampbord inks (yellow and pink) with a distress tool, adding colour where needed until it was blended to my liking...
 
 
As the colours were quite sunshiny I decided to start my abstract pattern with a bit of a sunburst feel, so chose some stamps that I thought would look good.  These were then stamped in a pattern using archival black ink.  Then I used one of my tools to scrape away parts of the ink to uncover some of the clay board underneath...
 

 
To some of the areas that were exposed I added more ink, then when I was happy with that stage I created white highlights using the scraper tool again...
 
 
I wanted to frame the piece so added another stamp around the edges, then scraped some parts back and added yellow ink.  I only wanted to ink certain areas so used the fine tip of one of my smoothies.  Once this was completed gold gilding pen was added around the edges...
 

 
To add another layer of texture and interest I used a stencil and some glassy gel medium, then covered the gel with extra fine iridescent gitter.  It looks a bit dramatic to start with, but the gel does go clear!!...
 
 
At this point I needed to decide if I wanted to add anything else.  I knew that I had to add words (as I usually do!) so chose a simple sentiment from Stampers Anonymous that I could cut up so that less of the pattern was covered up.  I also chose one with a font that I felt matched the style of the piece.  To match the main piece I coloured a piece of card using distress inks.  I started by using a smoothie but found this was too dark, so instead I used my blending brushes which gave a lighter tone...
 
 
Here is the final piece...
 




 
A bit out of my usual comfort zone, but I found building the pattern and scratching back the stampbord to be very relaxing.
 
I will be back tomorrow with another project, hopefully you will be able to pop by for a look,
 
Jane x