Sunday 1 May 2016

Altered Eclectics - Owl Photo Frame

A surprise hello from me this Sunday!

I am very pleased to announce that I am now a design team member for the fantastic mixed media challenge blog... Altered Eclectics

Today is the start of a brand new challenge and as always the theme is 'Anything Goes' as long as it is mixed media or altered art (no cards, ATC's etc.)

My design team piece for this month started with this white plastic photo frame that I got from a bargain price shop...



I started by taking it apart and then painted it with a coat of heavy white gesso to provide a key to the colours that I wanted to put on.  Once the gesso had dried I used cottage acrylic paints from IndigoBlu (marshmallow, lemon meringue and lime marmalade), sponging it on and then adding more where needed...

 
To add extra sparkle I spritzed the whole project with a gold mica spray and dried with my heat tool.  Then to highlight the texture of the frame and to add a slightly more vintage look I used gold gilding wax from Pebeo...


To create a focal point for where the photo would usually be I chose 3 circle dies that would fit the space well.  The largest layer was cut from vintage gold card, the second layer was created by using the same colour paints as the main piece onto card, then spritzed with gold spray.  This was then stamped with a flourish stamp by Leonie Pujol and heat embossed with gold powder.  The final layer was for the sentiment by Stampers Anonymous and again heat embossed in gold.  Using blending brushes I added some worn lipstick and mustard seed distress inks for a more subtle centre...


Finally to add some finishing touches I wanted to have some flowers and foliage.  I selected 3 different size cream coloured paper flowers from my stash and sprayed them with a light gold mica spray.  Once dry I added some gold gilding wax and some pink glitter mixed with soft gloss gel medium.  To frame them I also used some die cut leaves and dried flower bits...

 
These were placed onto the frame using glue gel...





A completed project!  My second owl in a week, but they are such beautiful creatures and fun to create with.

I hope you enjoyed my first design team project for Altered Eclectics.  Do please pop over to the challenge for a look at all the other DT members projects, and also to enter your own.  There is a link to the blog HERE and you will also see it on my blog list in the sidebar to the right.


Happy crafting,

Jane x 

No comments:

Post a Comment