Monday 8 August 2016

Mixed Media Monday: My Angels...

Hello!

I hope you have a had a nice weekend and are refreshed for the week ahead.

We are feeling quite tired after a hectic weekend, but the weathe was mostly fantastic (apart from a bit of sea mist Sunday morning) and there were lots of people at the fair with some good entertainment too!  Being the IOW we also got to say hello to lots of people we knew and met some new ones as well.

I am going to put an extra post in tomorrow with a bit of a sneak peek of a new Leonie One Day Special that starts on Wednesday evening, so don't forget to put it in your diary!

I would also like to say welcome to my new followers, I hope you enjoy what you read!  As the number of my followers is now getting higher I thought that I would announce that when we get to 50 I will do a little give away, it will probably be some crafty goodies and maybe a little plaque, I will have to see what is in my stash!!

Today I am showing you a step by step project that I made that was inspired by seeing the fantastically talented Kate Crane on HOCHANDA recently.
I was not really familiar with Kate's work but found her relaxed mixed media style really interesting and felt that I would like to have a go.  She has also got me into creating my own characters, using her inspiration as a guideline by seeing how simple it is to make your own drawings and reminded me of how much I used to enjoy creating cartoon characters when I was younger!

Here are the completed plaques that I made...


These plaques started life with me doodling the angels.  I drew them in pencil first then once I was happy went over the lines with a fine black pen.  They are coloured using Spectrum Aqua pen and the wings finished with wink of stella and some glamour dust.  I also added some glossy accents to parts right at the end...


Once I had made the angels I needed something for them to go on and thought that plaques with some of the great Dylusions quotes would be a good idea.  I used some mixed media grey board from Tando as the base, coating them first with some white gesso...


The bright cottage paints from IndigoBlu were used to create the colour.  I added some white paint first then the pink, making brush marks in different directions.  I dried each colour inbetween to minimise the amount of 'muddying' but didn't mind a little bit of orange coming through on one as it matched the smaller angel's colours...



Once I was happy with the base colour I used the ends of some bottle caps and an old store card to make some marks using white gesso...


Using some stamps from Finnabair I added extra layers using pink and green ink.  The holes were made with my cropadile and eyelets added.  Then I had fun creating extra patterns with a white posca pen and my black fineliner...


The quotes were stamped and cut out and attached to the plaques, along with the angels, using glue gel.  Wire for the hangers was the finishing touch...



I was really pleased with these and have now ordered some more of the boards so that I can create more characters for my little 'family'!

I will be back on Wednesday with another project, I hope you have a lovely start to the week,

Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment