Friday, 2 February 2018

Creative Artiste: Steampunk Shoe


Today is the launch of a new challenge over at Creative Artiste and we had lots of lovely entries last month, thank you if you entered.  This month we have a new prize available from our sponsors at Decoart Media...

To visit the challenge for further information about how to enter and to see all the projects the design team have made you can click HERE.

This month I decided to do something that I have wanted to do for ages... decorate a shoe!!  My husband found some really great shaped shoes in a charity shop, far higher than I would ever wear, and I eventually persuaded him that I should decorate them mixed media style...

I have only completed one to start with, but it is still wearable (although obviously not weather proof) so I may do the other in the same style, or maybe something completely different!
The shoe was a plastic type of material in quite bright colours so I needed to give it quite a few coats of white gesso to start with.  Then I used Decoart crackle paint, crackle paste and texture sand paste in different areas to create lots of different surfaces and textures...

I had decided to make it a steampunk style so chose some shades of Decoart Fluid acrylic paints and applied them in washes by adding water to them, this really makes the paints go a lot further.  I used Quinacridone Gold, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber and Diarylide Yellow, then I used Paynes Grey and Quinacridone Gold on some Tando greyboard pieces and some wings that I had cast in a mould with white resin...

When all the paint had thoroughly dried I added some Decoart Patina Antiquing Cream, then once that was dry wiped it back using a baby wipe.  Because this medium is never completely set I put a layer of Decoart Matt Varnish across the whole shoe then added Antique Gold gilding wax from Pebeo and Patina wax from Creative Expressions...

The greyboard and resin embellishments were finished in the same way then added to the shoe using glue gel.  Extra metal embellishments and gems were added along with some copper micro beads.

To finish I stamped a sentiment from Visible Image which was aged using distress inks.

Thank you for taking the time to have a look, and do please check out the challenge blog, it would be lovely to see some of your projects!

Happy crafting,

Jane xx

No comments:

Post a Comment