Monday, 11 April 2016

Mixed Media Monday: Recycled Flower Bottle

 
 
Hello!
 
I hope you have all had a lovely weekend.  Mine has been very busy but great fun!  Saturday morning lots of lovely craftiness at Alexandra Palace then the rest of the weekend at LEGOLAND, Windsor.  We all had a great time, but do need to have a rest today as there was a lot of walking, but can thoroughly recommend the resort, especially for children!!
 
I am back with a mixed media project today and I am entering it into the following challenges...
 
* Mixed Media Mojo - Recycle (option of metal)
 
* Altered Eclectics - Anything Goes
* Craft Stamper - Spring Flowers
* A Vintage Journey - Spring is in the Air
 
I recently posted some projects using Finnabair's new sculpture medium, so I decided to try out another type of structuriser called Powertex.  This works in much the same way but the fabric did feel quite a lot harder when this had dried.  I used a recycled bottle and some strips of an old white sheet to start my structure.  The fabric is dipped into the product then applied, it is the same sort of consistency as PVA glue.  I did not have a plan of how I wanted to apply the fabric so just went with the flow!  Here is how it looked after being left to dry for a couple of days...
 


When it was thoroughly dry I used lemon meringue cottage paint from IndigoBlu to paint the whole bottle, then spritzed it with some mixed media inks from Imagination, fuschia and yellow.  After drying it off with a heat tool I added gold gilding wax to highlight the texture...


Using the same ink sprays plus some white, I created some sheets of card to match the bottle for making my flowers.  The Arianna Bloom stamp from Heartfelt Creations was stamped using versamark then embossed with twinkling lights embossing powder by Wow!  These were then cut out using the matching die...




The flowers were shaped with an embossing tool and glued together with a gem added to each centre.  I made 4 different sizes and then glued them to the bottle using glue gel.  Metal leaves were added and then a variety of micro beads and other beads for added texture.  I stamped out some butterflies from a Bee Crafty set to match the flowers and added metal wire coils for the antennae.  Here is the finished bottle in full...



Here are some close up pictures to show some more of the details...






I think this would make a nice alternative vase for some spring flowers, so I may try it out!

I will be back with another project on Wednesday,

Jane x