Saturday 1 October 2016

Altered Eclectics: A Rainbow of Butterflies

Hello!

Welcome to a brand new month which must mean that it is time for a new Altered Eclectics challenge.  Please pop over to the blog by clicking HERE where you will find lots of different ideas and hopefully some of you will be inspired to enter a project.  The challenge is anything goes as long as it is not a card or ATC, so all things altered and mixed media are welcome!

So here is my inspiration project...

 
I started this project knowing that I wanted to use a butterfly stamp from Bee Crafty with the colours of the rainbow so decided to create a 12" x 12" canvas.  First I stamped the butterfly multiple times using black Versafine which was then embossed with clear powder.  These were all cut out and then coloured using Spectrum Aqua pens with a clear sparkle added over the top, then glossy accents for a nice shiny and durable finish...
 
 
I added a coat of gesso to the canvas and then used a dictionary stamp from Stampin'Up! to add a pattern to the background.  I used archival ink as I knew that I would be adding wet mediums later...
 
 
Using a mini stencil from Scrapmatts I added some paint in rainbow colours across the canvas...
 
 
The archival ink was again added through a stencil this time by Andy Skinner to create a face and some detail in the corners.  I wanted to create a drippy rainbow effect down the canvas so spritzed a bit of water then added gelatos to the top of the canvas before spraying more water and allowing the colour to run down the canvas...
 
Some more stencilling was then added using the harlequin from IndigoBlu.  This time I used some champagne sparkle paste from Imagination crafts for a different texture.  Then the butterflies were added across the canvas in rainbow order...
 





For the sentiment I used one from Tim Holtz and Stampers Anonymous, using some black soot distress ink around the edges...


Once I had added the sentiment I felt there was something still missing so I added some extra stamping using black and white paint.  This was created using a mixture of bottle lids, gift cards and some texture stamps from Stampin'Up!...





 
Finally the canvas was put into a white frame to allow the colours to pop!
 
I loved making this canvas as butterflies and rainbows always make my smile so I now need to put it up somewhere and possibly make a couple of matching canvases for a collection!
 
I look forward to seeing your entries at Altered Eclectics, until next time have a lovely day,
 
Jane x 

No comments:

Post a Comment